Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Turmeric potatoes

I was craving Indian food again tonight so I decided to try something new. Every time I go to the Indian restaurant by my house they have these amazing looking dishes. One of them is bright yellow. I decided to make my own version of it at home. I just guessed at everything.

recipe:
3 smallish-medium potatoes, peeled
1/2 cup frozen cauliflower
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 a medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
2 tsp. olive oil
1-2 slices pickled jalepeno
1/2 vegetable bullion cube
water
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. turmeric
1/8 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. curry powder

boil potatoes, cauliflower, and peas until they are fork-tender.

While potatoes are boiling, heat oil in a large sautee pan. Add onions, garlic, and jalepeno. Cook until they are soft.

While this is cooking, combine the bullion cube, spices, and water together in a small bowl. Stir to make a thick yellow paste. Add this paste to the onions and throw in the potatoes. Stir to coat the potatoes in the spice mix. Add more water if it is looking dry. The starch from the potatoes will thicken the sauce. Season with pepper.

This recipe smelled great and tasted just as good. I think I made mine a little too spicy though because my tongue got kind of... fuzzy? I don't know, it was odd. But it tasted so good I kept eating it. Very filling. I guessed with all the measurements on the spices. Just throw some in.

No comments:

Post a Comment