Sunday, March 21, 2010

Sweet and Sour Sauce

One of the best ways to fill up on veggies (and use up the veggies that may be going bad) is to make a stir fry. I've made several different versions of a soy sauce based stir fry, but they all end up tasting relatively similar. Sometimes I need a bit of a change. I decided to attempt another asian inspired sauce... sweet and sour. Call me crazy, but I kind of love the fake, preservative laden, bright orange pre-made sauce. But all those chemicals can't be good for me so I made my own. I was surprised how well this turned out. I didn't measure anything, so these are just approximations.

Recipe:
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup vinegar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup pineapple chunks, chopped
2 T brown sugar
2 T soy sauce
1/2 tsp sriracha
1/2 tsp ginger
2 T cornstarch
2 T water

Combine everything except cornstarch and 2 T water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil (stand back because the vinegar smells very strong as it cooks). While it is boiling, combine cornstarch and water in a small cup. Add to boiling liquid and stir constantly. Bring to a boil again. Remove from heat. The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.

No comments:

Post a Comment