Sunday, August 29, 2010

Lower-Fat Macaroni and Cheese

I love macaroni and cheese. It is second only to mashed potatoes for my favorite food. Although I love the full fat, creamy, rich, gooey kind of macaroni and cheese I am in a bathing suit every day and don't always want to splurge like that. Also, I hate milk. I think it tastes so foul, which means I never have it in the house. I came up with this version that does not have milk and is a little healthier than the regular one.

Recipe:
1.5 cups cooked pasta (macaroni, shells, bow ties, or other small shape)
1.5 T butter
2.5 T flour
1 cup veggie stock
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
garlic powder
smoky paprika
black pepper
1 small handful of pretzels, crushed up
A little more cheese, just a little

In a small sauce pan melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 3-5 minutes until it is a blond color. Add the stock a little at a time and whisk constantly while you pour. Bring this mixture to a slow boil. Add the cheese and stir to melt it all. Season with garlic powder, paprika, and pepper. Let it simmer/low boil for a few minutes. The sauce will thicken a little bit as it cools. Toss the cooked pasta with the sauce and pour into a small baking dish. Top with pretzel crumbs and a little bit of cheese. Place this under the broiler until the top is slightly browned and a little crunchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment