Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tortilla Soup


I like soup. A lot. It is comforting, it is satisfying, and you can make it out of almost anything in the refrigerator. This is a soup that my mom used to make for me as a kid, especially after I became a vegetarian since she didn't know what else to do with me. I don't know if this is actually how my mom made it, but she was the one who gave me the idea. I would add some beans to it next time but I didn't want to open a can since I knew I wouldn't use all of them and didn't want any more leftovers.

Recipe:

1 T olive oil
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 onion, diced
1/2 a green bell pepper
1 clove garlic
1/3 cup-1/2 cup prepared salsa (I used GardenFresh)
1 boca burger, chopped and cooked through
3 cups water
2 boullion cubes
crushed tortilla chips
shredded cheddar cheese
sliced scallions

In a medium-large pot, heat oil and cook the onions, garlic, carrots, celery, and bell pepper until soft. Add the boca burger (or veggie crumbles) and heat through. Add in the salsa and stir to combine. Add the boullion cubes and water. Heat until simmering. Continue to simmer for 10-15 minutes. Pour into bowls and top with crumbled chips, shredded cheese, and scallions.

No comments:

Post a Comment