Thursday, February 18, 2010

Beer Cheese Soup

There is a bar by my house that serves these incredible fries that come with cheddar ale dip. I can't get enough of them. They include my two weaknesses when I've been drinking: cheese and fried things. Its perfect. And expensive. $8 for cheese fries? Ouch. My home made version is not a dip but a soup that I dip things into. If you wanted it to be a dip you could decrease the amount of stock.

Recipe:
6 T butter
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 onion, diced
1/2 T dijon mustard
1/4 cup flour
2.5 cups veggie stock
3 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated (not pre-shredded)
1 T parmesan
1/2 bottle of beer (so perfect, drink the rest while it is cooking)
salt
pepper

Saute butter, carrots, celery, and onions in a large pot until soft-ish (5 minutes or so). Add mustard and flour and cook 2 minutes. SLOWLY add stock while stirring constantly to make sure there are no flour lumps. bring to a boil for 5 minutes while stirring. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add beer and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment