Thursday, February 18, 2010

Butternut Squash Soup


Smooth, velvety, and rich. This soup is really delicious and can be spiced a number of ways. I chose cinnamon because it pairs well with apples and walnuts, which I typically have on hand. You can make it slightly indian flavored by adding curry powder or garam masala.

Recipe:
1 butternut squash, peeled and diced
3 T butter
1 onion, diced
Enough veggie stock to cover the squash (or water and 2-4 veggie bouillon cubes)
1 tsp cinnamon
apples, sliced
walnuts, chopped

In a large pot combine butter and onion, cook until soft and fragrant. Add squash and cinnamon and sautee for 2 -3 minutes. Add just enough stock to cover the squash. Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Puree with an immersion blender until it is completely smooth. Return to heat for a few minutes. Serve hot and top with apples and walnuts if you'd like.

*I've added cream before and this does make it taste really good. I usually leave it out because I like the thickness of it without. I also like to make it as healthy as possible so I can eat as much as I want without feeling bad so I leave out the extra fat and calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment