Thursday, February 18, 2010

Wine Braised Mushrooms

Mushrooms are one of those foods that if done right I absolutely love, but if not, I find them to be one of the most disgusting foods ever. When I lived in Grand Rapids there was a restaurant that had some of the best mushrooms I have ever eaten. They were mushrooms cooked in a rich Chianti sauce. I decided to attempt to recreate it at home a while back and after a few attempts I found something that tasted so close it surprised me. This makes a good side dish or a main dish if you serve it over whole wheat pasta.

Recipe:
1.5 lbs button mushrooms, wiped clean
1 - 2 T butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup wine
2 T worcestershire sauce (there is a vegetarian version, but I've left this out before too)
1 T soy sauce
pepper
1/3 cup fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, whatever you have on hand) OR 1/4 tsp dried thyme, tarragon, sage, or whatever you like the taste of

In a large pot that has a lid and can is oven safe heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes (don't move the mushrooms for the first 2-3 minutes to get a good caramelization on them). Add garlic, wine, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and pepper. Cover and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, add herbs, stir, and serve.

*This is amazing served with a bright green salad and crusty bread to soak up the extra sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment